[WAR] ... and AP - now IP

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:35:59 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 10:05:38 -0700
Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:

> I think patents may have made more sense when it was much harder for
> individuals and small groups to get funding to develop an idea, and
> the only people with the resources to develop them were the guilds and
> state-sponsored corporations like the East India Company.

	I think you need to re-think that. The guilds and especialy the
	east india company are poster chilren for mercantilism, the very
	system that libertarians wanted to abolish.

	The east india company was the same kind of entity that
	military contractors 'rebuilding' countries destroyed by the
	anglo-americans are. And it was even worse than a purely
	'commercial' gang that monopolized trade - the east india
	company was nothing but the imperial british army invading
	india and other countries of asia.

> Patents
> were a way to protect the "little guy."

	I don't think so.

> Now it's much easier to get
> your hands on funding than it was then, whether it's a small business
> loan, SBIR, venture or angel capital, or crowdfunding.

	And that's probably not true either. Well obviously the
	telecom side of things is better today than it was in 1700, but
	the finance side of thing not necessarily so.