New list confirmation (Re: cpunks list relocation imminent (was: Re: moving on))

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Sep 2 08:48:59 PDT 2016

On 09/02/16 08:08 -0700, Razer wrote:
>On 09/02/2016 04:41 AM, Greg Newby wrote:
>> One difference from the old domain is that greylisting is turned on.  I haven't heard of that creating problems, but it is a difference.
>>   - Greg
>
>I just took a look at the Wikipedia entry for 'greylisting'. It sounds
>awful if you're victimized by it. My personal mail from openmailbox to a
>friend was rejected by yahoo b/c of shit like that and I didn't get a
>notifcation for three fucking days.
>
>Have you ever noted how many good domains are black-holed b/c some
>asshole fascist relay operator in the midwest says so. How you never get
>a response to a request to remove you from thise lists., How a 'spammer'
>could intentionally create a situation that blackholes or graylists a
>domain?

How Postfix handles grey listing, and how commercial providers throttle
emails is quite different. Postfix typically handles this responsibly by
returning a 4XX error to allow the sender to retry later. Commercial
providers will often silently accept email leaving the sender unaware.

Also, having a server's IP appear within on a blacklist is another problem
altogether, and is not affected by Postfix's grey listing configuration
(except for the case where it may prevent a server from showing up on a
blacklist).

Postfix can be configured to greylist based on certain criteria that could
be useful during an attack. Such an attack might be a sender guessing email
addresses, which is not an issue for 'cypherpunks at lists.cpunks.org' which
is publicly known, but may provide protection for other domains/addresses
on the server.

--
Dan White