Senior US District Judge Leon Jordan rules against FBI in PlayPen case

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Oct 25 20:56:38 PDT 2016

On 10/25/2016 09:46 PM, juan wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:18:07 -0600
> Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> | Senior U.S. District Judge Leon Jordan ruled that the Federal
>> | Bureau of Investigation violated both the US Constitution and
>> | federal rules of criminal procedure when they hacked nearly
>> | 1,300 users who accessed the PlayPen child porn site.
>>
>> https://www.deepdotweb.com/2016/10/26/knoxville-federal-judge-rules-fbi-playpen-case/
>

> 	"Jordan allows the government to use the evidence gathered by
> 	the FBI"
>
> 	Plus, if the fbi has any sort of 'problems' they simply have to
> 	go to a different court of 'justice' which will finally 'agree'
> 	with them.

Yes, it's a narrow victory. But still, the FBI couldn't just shop for an
agreeable judge. If they want a national investigation, his ruling means
that they'd need a warrant from a federal judge. Which, I'm guessing, is
harder to get.

On the other hand, we know that the NSA does whatever it wants. And
parallel construction. So truly a narrow victory. Arguably illusory.