FreeBSD 11.0 Released

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Wed Oct 12 05:39:32 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 07:16:47AM -0400, John Newman wrote:
> >> No. Ipfilter (aka: Ipf) is Darren's / Phil's and has been
> >> dropped by Open and Dragonfly BSD, for license and
> >> other reasons, including being a dead project.
> >> last release: e9d51c6e58f549c4ab499254c81c90d2
> >>
> >> PF (packet filter) is Open's, IPFW2 (ipfirewall) is Free's,
> >> NPF is Net's, IPFW3 is Dragon's. All actively maintained
> >> by their own communities. PF is ported to all.
> >
> > Right, but all the SYNTAX was stolen from IPF.  Or copied. Whatever you want to call it.
> >
> > Pf has made some nice improvements in the years since, but there is no doubt it started as a clone of IPF so Theo could include the superior software firewall mechanism in openbsd without the license restrictions.
> >

> > John
>
> I've always thought the IPFW mechanism in FreeBSD was crap, compared to IPF/PF, just as an aside...
>
> Years ago IPF was actually also ported to Solaris and Linux. I used it on some Sun boxes when I was just a little guy a long fucking time ago.....
>

> John

Off-topic - I can't stand the way the phone email clients I habitually
use format email. The results come out looking horrible. It's rare
that I have a chance to reply to the list from an actual computer
(generally I'm too busy when I'm in front of a real computer)...

Anyway, I suppose I could start using mutt on android :P

John