The Democratization Of Censorship

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:21:46 PDT 2016

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/we-need-to-save-the-internet-from-the-internet-of-things

Irony of govt specified devices in your home, all to combat aforesaid
censorship?
Mandated by: Bruce Schneier

"IoT will remain insecure unless government steps in and fixes the
problem. When we have market failures, government is the only
solution. The government could impose security regulations on IoT
manufacturers, forcing them to make their devices secure even though
their customers don't care. They could impose liabilities on
manufacturers, allowing people like Brian Krebs to sue them. Any of
these would raise the cost of insecurity and give companies incentives
to spend money making their devices secure.
Of course, this would only be a domestic solution to an international
problem. The internet is global, and attackers can just as easily
build a botnet out of IoT devices from Asia as from the United States.
Long term, we need to build an internet that is resilient against
attacks like this. "