"Tor is dead technology"

Razer rayzer at riseup.net
Tue Oct 4 08:00:36 PDT 2016

On 10/04/2016 05:58 AM, John Newman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 06:59:57PM -0700, Razer wrote:
>> The poster of that tweet, @thegrugq, 'security researcher',  also said:
>> "the government doesn???t use Tor."
>>
>> https://twitter.com/attractr/status/783014723226861568
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I would think US governemnt actors, using tor, would be some of the
> only people that might have a reasonable expectation that it works...
> not because their traffic or metadata about their traffic can't be
> pwned to some extent, but because they work for or with some of
> the only people capable of such attacks (the NSA).
>
> Tor is not secure against a GPA... but is the US/NSA the only "real"
> GPA that counts?
>

> John

Or if the government is surveilling them it's for 'quality assurance'
and it doesn't matter anyway.

When I suggested that there might be two tors. One for them and one for
us, it elicited the 'government doesn't use it' response.

As X said, it DOES sort of tip the opponent off that you have something
to hide, but whether they can identify 'you'... especially using
something like Tails that spoofs your mac address and leaves no trace
that you've ever done anything more than power up at a given time.

So if you're in some internet cafe in Singapore with a hundred other
people walking in and out using the connection, the IP of entrance to
the tor network just doesn't do a lot to identify you unless perhaps
you're already being surveilled.

Over time, if under surveillance the opponent could find a correlation
between your presence and tor's use. Again, that why I've said 'the more
users the better'. If everyone in that Singapore cafe was using it. the
opponent would still be drawing a blank about your identity.

Rr