Scientific Progress

Tom tom at vondein.org
Fri Oct 28 08:36:33 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 07:06:09AM -0700, Razer wrote:
> Why not?
>
> In 1988 or so I took an Epson HX-20 cp/m laptop and put it on the
> intertubz, and packet radio, using a basic 1.1 program I wrote myself
> that also would print out (on demand) a log or screen info to it's cash
> register tape printer  while storing the info and the program on a
> microcassete and it ran at a whopping 1200baud, which was a fast as the
> buss and 4K of ram was ever going to go. That was when 9600 baud was
> typical and 14.4 was blazing fast.
>
> I made a a packet contact bouncing of the digipeater on the Mir space
> station with a friend about 50 miles away using a 2 el quad, that
> computer, and a 5 watt Alinco handie-talkie on 2m

Wow, cool!

> Enough brag. My point is, if you wanted to build an orbital telescope
> you could, with the kind of collaboration it took to build the 220mhz
> California digipeater backbone perhaps, but make some like minded
> friends and anything is possible. Even a telescope sat launch from Guyana...

Possibly, but it would be a hard endeavor, wouldn't it? :)

> AAMOF Orbital sats are EZ! It's the geostationary ones that you'll have
> talk to the feds about, because they think they own that space, in space.

Same here in germany. But it's even better here: while they claim to
have jurisdiction above us, they say the constitution doesn't apply
there, because it only applies on the ground (nobody really understands
this argument). So, shoot a drone or launch your own rocket and go to
jail while the very same people spy on everyone from above.

> Ps. Obviously, I don't hate science... as someone mentioned earlier

That someone would be me, sorry!

Tom.