US Feds: Laws? We Don't Needs Them! Now Bend Over, Serfs....!

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:53:59 PDT 2016

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/10/23/0049255/feds-walk-into-a-building-demand-everyones-fingerprints-to-open-phones
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20161022/business/161029726/

Investigators in Lancaster, California, were granted a search warrant
last May with a scope that allowed them to force anyone inside the
premises at the time of search to open up their phones via fingerprint
recognition, Forbes reported Sunday. The government argued that this
did not violate the citizens' Fifth Amendment protection against self
incrimination because no actual passcode was handed over to
authorities...

"I was frankly a bit shocked," said Andrew Crocker, a staff attorney
at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, when he learned about the scope
of search warrant. "As far as I know, this warrant application was
unprecedented"... He also described requiring phones to be unlocked
via fingerprint, which does not technically count as handing over a
self-incriminating password, as a "clever end-run" around
constitutional rights.