Senior US District Judge Leon Jordan rules against FBI in PlayPen case

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Oct 25 20:48:40 PDT 2016

On 10/25/2016 09:30 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 21:18 -0600, Mirimir wrote:
>> | Senior U.S. District Judge Leon Jordan ruled that the Federal
>> | Bureau of Investigation violated both the US Constitution and
>> | federal rules of criminal procedure when they hacked nearly
>> | 1,300 users who accessed the PlayPen child porn site.
>>
>> https://www.deepdotweb.com/2016/10/26/knoxville-federal-judge-rules-fbi-playpen-case/
>
> Hooray for small victories. I really don't like child porn, but those
> who enforce the law should be required to obey the law.

Well, he didn't go _that_ far. After all, the FBI was serving child porn
to users. And they're allowed to do that, sell drugs, plot to have
people killed, etc, etc. As long as they don't entrap ;) Funny.

And in this case, the judge _did_ allow the evidence to be used ;) Even
though it had been illegally collected. Because he considered that the
FBI had made an "honest mistake".

Still, he did rule that a state judge can't issue a warrant that's valid
in other states. But maybe just a turf issue.