Scientific Progress

Kevin Gallagher kevin.gallagher at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:36:30 PDT 2016

Hello all, "scientist" (PhD candidate) here in the field of computer
science and cyber security.

Most of the scientists I have encountered are not totally malicious, just
oblivious to the moral, ethical and political consequences of their work.
They are blind enough to believe that their "advances" help society,
despite them actually shifting the balance of power away from the people.

There are a few, however, who do what they can to shift power back into the
hands of the people. I was greatly influenced by a paper by Phil Rogaway
entitled "On the moral character of cryptographic work," and I try my best
to do research that works for the benefit of the people, not governments or
wealthy power holders. Only time will tell if I am successful, but I will
do my best.

There are others who also work with morals in mind. It is not so black and
white as "scientists are evil people working for fascists." They are just
unaware of the consequences of their work.