The difference between moderation and censorship [was Re: Inspirational - Senator Culleton's Passionate...]

Razer rayzer at riseup.net
Sat Oct 15 18:01:39 PDT 2016

On 10/15/2016 02:14 PM, Xer0Dynamite wrote:
> He's differentiating between floods of off-topic material which acts
> to censor real discussion by hiding it in noise

One geek's 'noise' is another geek's datastream.

Tail-ending, boilerplate postings of mbs of non-related info, other
ploys for attention ... all those things go back to the inception of
lists, forums, comment trees. The people DOING THAT are, in a way,
attempting to censor the flow of information. I alway make them for
mentally ill individuals, people with an axe to grind about the
individuals on the list (see point 1), or cops trying to crudely disrupt
the topic at hand or the forum's operations.

I personalty believe humans CAN distinguish a legitimate difference and
act appropriately on it. I just don't see it happen that way very often
in reality.

Rr