The difference between moderation and censorship [was Re: Inspirational - Senator Culleton's Passionate...]

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Oct 15 03:41:17 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-10-14 at 22:24 -0300, #$%& wrote:
> To be more precise. Expect to find absolutely no russian
>         propaganda, because that list is fully 'moderated'. That is,
>         censored. And expect it to contain loads of american
>         propaganda, which the 'moderators', aka censors, simply
> consider
>         to be 'ontopic' 'morally perfect' 'legitimate' 'content'.

Moderation is not censorship. Moderation is the selective approval of
messages so that a forum is not effectively censored by the prevalence
of off-topic material, and to maintain standards of decorum and
conduct.

Moderation, when done properly, is actually the *prevention* of
constructive censorship. If this list were to be overrun by spam for
knock-off Ray-Ban and Oakley sunglasses, penis enlargement pills, Dr. Oz
approved acai berry diet pills, or even ads for VPNs that accept
payments in Bitcoin, I'm sure most of you would demand something be done
to protect the integrity of the forum.