[ PFIR ] Google: Building on Surveillance Reform

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Oct 15 00:32:54 PDT 2016

Google: Building on Surveillance Reform

https://blog.google/topics/public-policy/building-surveillance-reform/

  	Today, we've updated our Transparency Report on government
	requests for user data.  Globally, we received 44,943
	government requests for information regarding 76,713 accounts
	during the first half of 2016.  We provided user information
	from the previous reporting period (i.e. the second half of
	2015).  We also received our first ever requests from the
	following countries: Algeria, Belarus, Cayman Islands, El
	Salvador, Fiji, and Saudi Arabia. In addition, pursuant to the
	USA Freedom Act, the FBI lifted a gag restriction on an NSL
	issued in the second half of 2015.  To reflect this, we have
	updated the range of NSLs received in that period -- July to
	December 2015 -- from 0-499 to 1-499.  As we have noted in the
	past, when we receive a request for user information, we
	review it carefully and only provide information within the
	scope and authority of the request.  The privacy and security
	of the data that users store with Google is central to our
	approach.  Before producing data in response to a government
	request, we make sure it strictly follows the law, for example
	to compel us to disclose content in criminal cases we require
	the government use a search warrant, and that it complies with
	Google's strict policies (to prevent overreach that can
	compromise users' privacy).

--Lauren--