Sim Theory

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 09:49:35 PDT 2016

https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/10/06/1352205/tech-billionaires-are-asking-scientists-for-help-to-break-humans-out-of-computer-simulation
http://www.businessinsider.com/tech-billionaires-want-to-break-humans-out-of-a-computer-simulation-2016-10
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/10/sam-altmans-manifest-destiny
https://games.slashdot.org/story/16/06/03/0049258/elon-musk-one-in-billions-chance-were-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation

Tech Billionaires Are Asking Scientists For Help To Break Humans Out
of Computer Simulation

Many believe that we live in a computer simulation. But it takes a
billionaire and his money to ask scientists to help break us out of
the simulation. The New Yorker recently did a profile about Y
Combinator's Sam Altman. In the story, Altman discusses his theories
about being controlled by technology and delves into the simulation
theory. From an article on The New Yorker: Many people in Silicon
Valley have become obsessed with the simulation hypothesis, the
argument that what we experience as reality is in fact fabricated in a
computer; two tech billionaires have gone so far as to secretly engage
scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation. Business
Insider adds: The piece doesn't give any clue as to who those two
billionaires are -- although it's easy to hazard a few guesses at who
they might be, like Musk himself or Altman's friend Peter Thiel -- but
it's fascinating to see how seriously people are taking this theory.
According to Musk, it's the most popular topic of conversation right
now.Earlier this year, at Code Conference, Elon Musk said there's "one
in billions" chance we're not living in a computer simulation.