[Was, and still is: yahoo sux] Security experts urge clients to stop using Yahoo Mail

xorcist at sigaint.org xorcist at sigaint.org
Tue Oct 4 21:07:52 PDT 2016

> On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 00:29 -0300, juan wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 22:17:36 -0500
>> "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I do agree in principle that the information needs to get out there,
>> > and for the US government to try to keep it secret is at least a bit
>> > un-American, if not flagrantly so.
>>
>> 	Au contraire. It's 100% american. That's what you stand for.
>
> It is 100% UN-American and it is NOT what I stand for. Not now, not
> ever.

Well, I'm not moderator but I'll try to mediate this, here.

I get what Juan is saying, and I understand what you are saying. Here is
the disconnect:

It seems to me that Juan is looking at this entirely.. functionally.
Functionally, the government suppresses information for its own interests.
All of them do. He is disregarding the belief system of Americans, and the
cultural identity and beliefs that this involves. What is American, is
what America, as a whole, does. To be American is to enslave blacks, bomb
brown folks, and generally make a great mess of things, and worse - to be
proud of that mess.

You are using the term "American" quite differently. You're not using it
functionally, you're using it, forgive the term.. mythologically. There is
the cultural identity of "American" which sees itself as being about
freedom, natural rights and so on. For you, these are ideals, that
Americans strive for, and you acknowledge that in the past your country
fell short of, and that you have (and perhaps always will have) more to
do.

For you, it is totally possible for America to be UN-American. To Juan,
this is a logical absurdity.

I think I got that about right. I've been fucken with this dude, exploring
how he thinks for like two weeks now. It's like some weird catharsis for
me because I used to think quite similarly.

> Moderator, please remove Juan from the list.

I suspect you're beign ironical?