[Was, and still is: yahoo sux] Security experts urge clients to stop using Yahoo Mail

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Tue Oct 4 20:17:36 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 02:26 +0000, jim bell wrote:
> Generally speaking, American Federal laws are not applicable outside
> the United States (and its territories) unless the law explicitly says
> so.  The term is called "extraterritorial jurisdiction"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterritorial_jurisdiction    I am
> not aware of anything that would prohibit a person in one of these
> companies to visit Canada, or Mexico, or perhaps even a foreign
> embassy, or some other nation, and then publicly announcing the
> existence of this secret surveillance, immune from the reach of the
> law.

The problem is that the company's operations in the US will remain under
US jurisdiction, and that is the most likely avenue of
enforcement--against the company, not the individuals leaking the info
from the shores of Vancouver or CancĂșn.

I do agree in principle that the information needs to get out there, and
for the US government to try to keep it secret is at least a bit
un-American, if not flagrantly so.