email catch all domains - was Re: [WAR] Leaked recording proves John Kerry pushed for massive war in Syria, while Saudi Arabia and Turkey funded Al Qaeda

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 3 15:07:24 PDT 2016

Yes, I've always done this.  The other downside is that the anti-spam laws were not designed to protect people in this mode: You can
only unsub one address at a time, not a whole domain.  Automation can help that, but it is a pain.

Email clients are spotty on multiple identity support.  Thunderbird supports many accounts and identities, but it can get a little
confused sometimes.  The biggest bug gotcha is that when you resume a draft, it will often choose a random from identity.  I've
accidentally mixed up realms in ways I seriously did not intend.  I try to address check every message.  I've been meaning to dig
into Thunderbird to fix it, but low on my priority list.

sdw

On 10/3/16 2:59 PM, zen at freedbms.net wrote:
> For those not yet familiar with the convenience and utility of email
> catch-all domains, they provides very convenient "canary" flagging of
> who sold your email address to a third party marketer.
>
> I.e., when you make a purchase at ebaysmells.com, and your email address
> is for example ebaysmells.com at myfunkydomain.me, then when, some months
> later you receive an email from Zhing Wha Good Electronics $2 sale, and
> that email is sent to ebaysmells.com at myfunkydomain.me, you can have a
> fair idea that either ebaysmells.com, or the shop/person you made your
> original purchase from, is attempting to make opportunistic use of your
> email address.
>
> There are a couple issues with this feature however, which are mostly
> evident to anyone who uses them:
>
> - When you are legimitely emailed from the web shop, news media provider
>   or other, then one wants or often enough actually needs, to reply to
>   the sender using as a From address, the To address they used to email
>   you. Not doing so can easily mean no response as your normal email
>   address gets completely lost and not tracked in their CRM system.
>
> - As one solution, some email clients can be configured to always reply
>   From the same address To which the email was sent.
>
> - This gives rise to the next problem which I keep slipping up on since
>   I changed my MUA config, that my canary email addresses are being used
>   as the From address when I forward emaisl, rather than just when I
>   reply which is what I thought I'd configured. This may not be
>   configurable, which would mean remembering to manually change the From
>   address every time I forward an email.
>

> I send this in the expectation that some may like to be aware of this
> feature of domain management, when you own/ control your own domain.
> Being able to rattle off a random (to the other person) but traceable
> (by you) email address at conferences, to business people etc, is quite
> a handy thing to be able to do.
>
> Enjoy,
> Zenaan
>

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 10:31:10AM -0700, Sean Lynch wrote:
>> I see Zenaan has dropped the pretense of not working for Russia Insider!
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 5:55 PM, justa <russia-insider.com at freedbms.net>
>> wrote:

sdw