Truth is a bitter pill to swallow: Lessons on the death of Fidel Castro

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 16:51:48 PST 2016

The thought that SA was unable or incompetent to stand up to the
Mozambiquan/Cuban forces is untrue.

The SA troops basically kicked the crap out of the Cuban forces
whenever/wherever they met, but SA was pressured by the USA to back
down, with the promise that the USA would fill in. Didn't happen, of
course...

Regardless, it would have been harder for SA if there had been much
larger Cuban forces deployed - the engagements with Cuban forces were
fought mostly with conscripts, with SA saving their regular troops for
a possible larger conflict, which didn't eventuate.

If it had brewed up, the quality of the SA forces (i.e., individual
and small unit professionalism and discipline) would have been just
fine, but logistics and supply, and warfighting doctrine and tactics
would have presented real difficulties. SA at that time didn't train
their forces at large scale, with the battalion being the permanent
force size (vs. say the USA, where the division is the permanent unit
size).

This article (which makes the above mistake, is otherwise useful),
gives a decent overview of Fidel Castro's life and tenure:
http://libertyunbound.com/node/1631

Kurt