alt-left Twitter purges many alt-right accounts

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 15:05:58 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 11/18/2016 02:55 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > On 11/18/2016 03:44 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >> Once known as the "free speech wing of the free speech party", Twitter's
> >> true colours are hard to hide for even those with slowest brainial
> >> neorone.
> >>
> >> Facebook to follow and Google joining the party.
> >
> > I wouldn't call them "alt-left" just because they want the garbage off
> > of their service. There is a difference between free speech and garbage.
>
> Well, ACLU has supported rights of KKK to rally :)

Aye, but they've not also given them a section on their blog to post on
have they?

If you look a little deeper, you'll also find it's not the fundamental
views (and expression of) themselves that Twitter have taken issue with,
it's that the users in question repeatedly violated the ToS.

There's really not that much wrong with an individual service provider
deciding there are rules if you want to use their service. There might, of
course, be some chilling effects if all players in that area decide to
enforce overly strict rules, but that's somewhat different.

As ever, XKCD is relevant - https://xkcd.com/1357/

--
Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk