Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is DEAD!!!

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Wed Nov 9 12:21:03 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 17:32 +0000, Griffin Boyce wrote:
> Why be such intellectual coward?  You could've writtens in anybody you
> wanted.

Let me explain to you how presidential voting works (in every state but
Maine and Nebraska, anyway):

1. The candidate with the most votes takes all the electoral votes in
that state.

2. As a result of #1, a vote for any candidate who finishes below second
place is effectively the same as voting for the eventual winner. Put
another way, it robs the second place candidate of the votes needed to
win.

So... in Texas, Trump won. That means voting for Gary Johnson was the
same as voting for Trump. Voting for Jill Stein was the same as voting
for Trump. Voting for Evan McMullin was the same as voting for Trump.

If everyone in Texas who had voted just for Gary Johnson had voted for
Hillary instead, we'd be having an entirely different discussion because
Trump would not have won.

I will say this: at least Jill Stein or Evan McMullin couldn't have been
any worse than Trump. But the system as it stands now doesn't even give
them, or others who run outside of the two major parties, a realistic
chance to win the presidency. This sucks, but it is what it is.