Fw: Re: There Will Be Civil War

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Nov 16 13:27:32 PST 2016

----- Forwarded message from Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> -----
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:26:07 +1100
From: Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net>
To: rmspacedashrfspaceslash at googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: There Will Be Civil War

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 06:54:35PM +0300, Robin Turner wrote:
> What I find funny is how when the Democrats said "But Hillary won the
> popular vote" the Trump supporters were all "But we live in a
> constitutional republic, not a democracy - it's the electoral college that
> decide, not the people." But when there's a chance that the electoral
> college might not give them the result they want, it's the vote that
> matters, not the college. It's like the Brexitters saying it doesn't matter
> that the majority want to stay in the EU; the referendum is legally
> binding. Until the referendum stops being legally binding, then they're all
> "Will of the people".
>
> In both the UK and the US, we have minorities claiming to be majorities,
> and plutocrats claiming to be anti-establishment.
>
> Sir Robin

This is humorous, yes, but a little too simplistic. If the system were
being properly "implemented" by the media, rather than "played, by the
lame stream media", then the entire public discussion would include much
discussion of the electoral college possibilities, Bernie Sanders would
never have supported Hillary due to her horrendous history, and we would
see an entirely more educated public discourse.

Since the media (and thus the population) are dummed right down, only a
simplistic two person, winner takes all race is presented to the people.

In the face of how the public discourse has been played for so many
years, I am confident that the system (entrenched parliamentarians/
electoral college voters) doing an about face and going "ok, despite our
endless public discussion on 'winner takes all' and our commitment to
that principle and our nominated winner (Trump in this particular
instance) to take all our college votes, we're no going to turn around
and screw your vote, since we don't agree with it", then there's a
decent chance people will get truly fed up, and devolve the streets into
something resembling national, persistent and game changing strife.

In short, "the public discourse" as the lame stream media has played it,
implies, in the minds of American voters, a contract with those voters.

Breaking that contract at a key point in time will likely give rise to
serious consequences.

----- End forwarded message -----