FreeBSD Status Report

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 00:05:39 PST 2016

https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2016-07-2016-09.html

As focused as we are on the present and what is happening now, it is
sometimes useful to take a fresh look at where we have come from, and
where we are going. This quarter, we had our newest doc committer
working to trace through the tangled history of many utilities, and we
also get a glimpse looking forward at what may come in FreeBSD 12.

Though 11.0-RELEASE was not finalized until after the period covered
in this report, we can still have some anticipatory excitement for the
features that will be coming in 12.0. The possibilities are
tantalizing: a base system with no GPL components, arm64 as a Tier-1
architecture, capsicum protection for common utilities, and the
CloudABI for custom software are just a few.

The work of the present is no less exciting, with 11.0 making its way
out just after the end of Q3, the new core coming into its own, and
much more that you'll have to read and find out.