US: Post Election Protests

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 07:15:27 PST 2016

 From: juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com>

>>  Entirely unaware of their specific work (but, as I vaguely recall,
>> aware of this general concept; I'd probably heard of it, indirectly,
>> from a third person whose identity I don't recall), I thought of the
>> "Hundreds, or thousands, or millions of 'Person A's', make anonymous
>> contributions to a general offer to potentially any 'Person B' to
>> reward him for 'predicting' the date of death of 'Person C'. Are
>> these two models alike?  Kinda-sorta, I suppose.

 >   Well, the part about a date for a predicted 'accident' or event
 >  is more original I think (though I certainly haven't researched
 >   it thoroughly), however the bit about something being funded by
 >   many people seems more like the standard working of markets and
 >   so is rather old?
Hey, I didn't claim to have invented the entire concept of markets!   <vbg>Anyway, in 1995 the terms "crowdsourced" and "crowdfunded" didn't exist.  AP could be described today quite simply as "crowdfunded assassinations".

>> But I think they
>> would be enormously different in effect, for many reasons I need not
>> go into here.  If 'Assassination Markets' were limited to the former
>> model, very few people would be hated, enough, by only one person to
>> obtain a donation sufficient to buy a death.  In the latter model, a
>> few million 25-cent donations would get rid of nearly all potential
>> targets. I suggest that I did indeed advance the rhetorical
>> state-of-the-world.

>    I think Steve's point about high value targets being hard to
 >   attack is valid. But on the other hand what would happen if
>    'law enforcement' 'agents' were targeted? The price to get rid
>    of lowly anonymous cops would be a lot smaller. Working as a cop
>    would stop being appealing. And with no state 'law'
>    'enforcement' there are no state's 'laws' and ultimately no
>    state.
I don't disagree that "high value" targets would be more difficult.  But not that much.  And if they are indeed "high-value", that implies that large numbers of people would be ready and willing to donate to see them gone.  And the fact that the AP bounty can be collected by ANYONE makes it hard to defend against.  Even a person's bodyguards (and especially them!) would be able to stage an attack, and collect the reward.

>> Rather, my
>> intent was to show that the kind of tools necessary to implement AP
>> are being considered and produced.  Just "the kind of tools", not
>> necessarily the tools themselves.  TOR should be made stronger, with
>> more hops, more exit nodes, and more transfer nodes, filler traffic,
>> for some examples of improvements.

>    Tor is a brand of the tor corporation which in turn means the
>    pentagon. It's pretty much a dead end (and that's the way its
>    owners intend it to be, obviously)
And that's a real shame.  It's still useable, within its limitations.

> Bitcoin needs an upgrade, for
> example to Zerocoin, to provide true anonymity, rather than mere
> pseudonymity.

    Yes...

    (rest of your message is a reply to Steve so I won't comment)