[info at fsf.org: He invented the Web. Would he give up on free standards?]

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Nov 10 21:03:56 PST 2016

On 11/10/16 7:39 PM, Razer wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 03:14 PM, Mr Harkness quoted some schmuck:
>

>> Twenty-five years ago, Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web.
>
> I've seen this claim about a number of different people and you know? It's about as ignorant a thing to say as I can imagine. One
> person inventing the WWW... ROTF!
>
> MAYBE the TERM "WWW".
>
> Rr

There are a number of well-known cases of specific individuals inventing or co-inventing specific components of the Internet and
protocols on it.  TBL invented the World Wide Web in a core and well-known specific sense.  Most of us have read all about it and a
few of us were experiencing it real-time, switching from FTP, telnet, and Archie to Mosaic w/ web pages.  Vint Cerf co-invented
TCP/IP, commonly summarized as "invented the Internet".  I don't know of anyone else who is said to have "invented the World Wide
Web".  There were people who earlier suggested some kind of linked shared information, like Ted Nelson.

http://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/

sdw