US: Post Election Protests

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Nov 10 12:28:55 PST 2016

> On Nov 10, 2016, at 12:26 PM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:06:33 -0500
> John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:
>

>>> On Nov 10, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Razer <rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> On 11/10/2016 03:47 AM, John Newman wrote some non-analytical
>>> nonsense:

>>> Violence is a tactic. It can LEAD to a solution but it is not the
>>> solution itself
>>
>> Yes , truly spoken.
>>
>> The thing about violence is - science has advanced so many "wonderful
>> ways" for us to kill ourselves,
>

>    Not meaning to re-start a flame war =P,  but I think you mean
>    technology, not science. Yes, technological development is
>    (partly) related to what can be called 'basic' science but
>     they are distinct.
>

>> it becomes increasingly obvious
>> humanity needs to either disavow war altogether (how to do that I
>> have no idea) or face the inevitable conclusion that we are going to
>> fucking destroy ourselves.
>
>    That's a possibility, but it doesn't strike me as too
>    consistent with the 'science' of 'biology' - How many examples
>    of species that commit collective suicide are there? Why should
>    human *animals* be different? Even inter species competition
>    doesn't lead to complete destruction usually.
>
>    On the other hand, given the trends in 'networking' and
>    totalitarianism, it wouldn't be too surprising if the human
>    race became some sort of collective entity in which our ruling
>    monsters (say google and clinton) would act as a 'brain'.

Bostrum (the simulation hypothesis guy) has some interesting thoughts on the future of humanity that basically boil down to a few possibilities, one of which is humanity locking itself (forever) into some sort of totalitarian dystopia similar to what you outline.

Fundamentally I think this is the same thing as destroying ourselves outright.