[Cryptography] USB 3.0 authentication: market power and DRM?

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun May 22 12:46:50 PDT 2016

Dnia niedziela, 22 maja 2016 00:52:28 CEST grarpamp pisze:
> On 5/2/16, dj at deadhat.com <dj at deadhat.com> wrote:
> The Linux crowd went apeshit over it, and rightfully so. Then they
> dropped to their knees and wrote silly stub loaders and submitted
> them to their Microsoft Overlord for signing. They are still submitting
> to this scheme today, even though they don't have to...
>
> Because if you look, you can find boards that allow completely
> deleting the Microsoft keys and installing and managing your
> own in the BIOS, and opensource tools to sign and authorize
> your own loaders do exist. Buy those boards instead.

You do realise that this is not an option for J. Random User that wants to
"try Linux", right? They already have a laptop or a PC, and woon't be buying a
new one just to try a new, unfamiliar OS.

While I agree with the sentiment, and I am fucking furious at MS and hw
manufacturers for caving in, and will make sure to buy a board that allows me
to remove MS bullshit, I appreciate that somebody went the extra mile to make
it possible for J. Random User to at least try Linux regardless of MS
bullshit.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak