Apple engineers... Will they (snigger) crack under pressure

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Mar 20 16:30:36 PDT 2016

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 06:31:30PM -0400, J.M. Porup wrote:
> At 02:02 PM 3/18/2016, you wrote:
> >Apple will have its Snowden.
> >
> >--dan
>
> We are players in this drama, not observers.
>
> If you think someone at Apple should leak sensitive documents in the
> public interest, why don't you drive over to Cupertino and encourage
> your contacts there to leak?
>
> Evil men take power when good men do nothing.
>
> Which are you?

Yes indeed, all the world's a security theatre stage. What part are you
playing? How many of your fellow actors are collecting paychecks both
from Apple, and from foreign and domestic government services?

The only part here that's surprising is the blatant public admission
by the FBI that they can't afford to pay the market rates for apple
insiders. Or was that an intentional leak by the FBI's Snowden, who,
unlike Snowden, seems to know how to stay hidden and cause a lot more
damage.

I also find it hard to believe that Apple's employees would be so willing
to sacrifice themselves to save the user's private keys. I find it more
likely the cost-benefit calculation determined that locking out
unauthorized apple cloners exceeds the cost of litigation, and the
marketing and PR side-show was a brand-building bonus of a lifetime.

The FBI just got the short end of the stick, and is now getting an
education of why it's a bad idea to try to bully a smarter bully
with a bigger bankroll.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/apples-ad-budget-hits-1-billion/

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/fbi-budget-request-for-fiscal-year-2016