On XML - was Fwd: [Yaml-core] Next YAML: drop equality definition

Jason McVetta jason.mcvetta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:51:13 PST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> Nope. The next choice will be YAML 2. Then the next choice will be
> JSON 1. Then the next choice will be JSON 2. Then the next choice will
> be native serialization in your language of choice. Then custom binary
> serialization. Then a continually permutating algorithmic mixing
> stream, just for laughs. There are infinite alternatives to XML and if
> worse comes to worst, I suggest hard transcoding your data into COBOL
> statements and serializing those in Base63.

XML is a pain to write by hand, for sure.  But one shouldn't be doing
that.  There are perfectly good libraries for working with XML in almost
every programming language.  It's a bit over-engineered, but one really can
represent almost any sort of data as XML.  (Whether that's a good idea is a
whole different question.)

YAML is a lot easier to write a small file by hand, but it's kinda brittle
& easy to fuck up.  Not nearly as expressive as XML either.  Great for
small config files; imho not so great for most other things.

JSON strikes a nice balance between expressiveness and human readability.
That's probably why REST (or if you eschew buzzwords, JSON over HTTP) is so
popular these days.