Microsoft is trying to force Windows 10 on just about everyone.

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Thu Mar 10 12:23:37 PST 2016

On 03/10/2016 02:43 PM, jim bell wrote:
> From: Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com>
>

> Subject: Re: Microsoft is trying to force Windows 10 on just
> about everyone. On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 07:36:59AM +0000, jim
> bell wrote:
>>> Microsoft is trying to force Windows 10 on just about
>>> everyone.
>>> http://www.howtogeek.com/241329/upgrade-now-or-upgrade-tonight-h
ow-microsoft-has-aggressively-pushed-windows-10-to-everyone/>

>> lol. According to the theregister, m$ crashed (not sure if in
>> the cloud) and they couldn't restore from backup (trust
>> 'em). Then they asked their partners to send them CA
>> audits... Hope someone helped them in the crash/backup.
>
> I'd like to read more about this crash.  Are you talking about
> something that happened within the last week? Jim bell

The Register quotes Microsoft:

"As many of you may have just noticed, our system just generated a
bunch of emails informing many of you that you are subject to
removal because Microsoft does not have evidence of a qualifying
audit on file. This is likely an error on our side, but we need
your help.

"Our CRM system suffered a data loss, and it looks like it rolled
back to an old backup. As a result, we lost audit data for about
147 roots. If you received a message, please don't panic. Instead,
please just send Microsoft your most-recent audit data, and we
will update our records. Sorry for the confusion.

The Register says:

"As part of Microsoft’s Trusted Root program’s compliance
requirements, Certificate Authorities must provide a courtesy copy
of their audit data to the company annually. We’re reliably
informed that Microsoft stores these internally in a standalone
tool. An error occurred with the tool, so Microsoft contacted some
CAs and requested they resubmit a copy of their latest audit data,
sources confirm.

"Microsoft is a player in backup and the cloud, through Microsoft
Azure. Asking third parties for data on themselves in the wake of
a back-up bungle is not the biggest disaster in the world, but it
doesn’t look good either.