participation in sensor networks

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Mar 6 05:08:10 PST 2016

On 03/05/2016 04:01 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:41:04 -0500 Steve Kinney
> <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:
>

>> Universal surveillance enables abuses of State power only
>> when access to collected data is restricted to State
>> sanctioned actors.
>
> Yeah well. The obvious assumption(fact) is that surveillance
> is carried by the state and its proxies and only they have
> access to the data. Which is exactly what's happening now.
>
> Oh, and not only they have access to the data, they also have
> access to the guns. So the more data they have, the more
> damage they can cause.

"The guns" tend to backfire:  Common or garden variety capital
murders by police officers in the U.S. has re-ignited the Civil
Rights movement, for example.  Putting that big black genii back
in the bottle is a job for covert political warfare via
propaganda, deception and PsyOps.

The outcome of every revolution I have studied was determined
before the first shot was fired.  The real damage enabled by mass
surveillance in State and Corporate hands includes:

Fine tuning and targeting of propaganda in near realtime to
achieve maximum influence.

Early detection and proactive response to disrupt and co-opt
"trending" populist and radical factions.

Automated social network mapping and behavior analysis in support
of political warfare.

>> When everything becomes searchable by anybody, the inability
>> of State sanctioned actors to conceal their activities or
>> effectively lie about their history and motives will inhibit
>> their potential for destructive action.
>

> Sorry, I'm not buying that. First, the idea that joe-six-pack
> is going to have access to the pentagon's satellites is sheer
> nonsense. And even if he somehow did he wouldn't have access
> to the the guns.  So what good would the information be?

Not so much Joe Six Pack as Jane Citizen Journalist.  Up to a
point of diminishing returns, every time "the guns" are used
against her, a dozen more of her appear.  As the point of
diminishing returns for that function approaches, civil uprisings

>> "Power over others" depends in large part on secrecy,
>
> Power over others depends on guns.

The most important single item of State propaganda against
populist and radical politics:  Power over others depends on guns.

Any challenge to State power that depends primarily on armed
conflict has a single, certain outcome:  Victory for the State.
Again, the outcome of a revolution is determined before the first
shot is fired.  Building a large base of popular support and a
network of ideologically committed cadres is the key to success,
and the principal objective of State political warfare is to
prevent this from happening.

Naive wannabe anarchists who want to "go directly to guns, do not
pass the hat, do not collect 200 supporters" only provide the
State with a handy means of discrediting its more /effective/
opponents.

>> while "powers of self determination" depend largely on free
>> and open access to information.
>  Information is required but information alone will get you
> nowhere. Or more likely it would get you in jail.
>

>> In the long run, the secrecy problem will take care of
>> itself, because the abuses of power it enables have already
>> killed the State: At least, in the sense that a
>> trans-national State hard wired for self destruction,
>> defending that program by any means necessary, is "already
>> dead."
>

> Well, the only thing missing to prove that claim
> is...evidence.

Evidence means nothing without context; information that is not
actionable is not intelligence.  Step one, know your adversary.
Who and what IS the State, and why is it so toxic?  Some clues
from the Harvard National Security Journal here:

National Security and Double Government by Michael J. Glennon

http://harvardnsj.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Glennon-Final.pdf

:o)