[Cryptography] EFF amicus brief in support of Apple

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sat Mar 5 15:39:21 PST 2016

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 03:23:18PM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > Bottom line: if FBI/DoJ can strongarm Apple into electronically
> > signing malware, then we have entered into a truly new imperial
> > era, where trillion-dollar companies can be rubber-hosed into
> > misusing their private crypto keys.
> >
> > No amount of technology, per se, can prevent this particular
> > MITM attack.  We're now going to have to have multiple keys
> > from multiple "trusted" sources prior to accepting a firmware
> > update.  Forget visiting Switzerland or the Cayman Islands
> > for access to $$$; you may now have to physically go there to
> > get your iPhone securely updated.
>
> See this is a problem. All this trust in single entities,
> singular and closed systems you keep needing to place.
> Why in the fuck do you keep doing this?
>
> You compute hardware should be completely open.
> You compute software should be completely open.
> You should fuse your own keys into your own hardware
> for software builds you reproducibly build sign and install
> yourself from distributed opensource software.
>
> Open designs, open fabs, open products, open source.
> You are NOT going to solve these problems without it.
>
> And quit crying profit... the work of your plumber is all in the
> open and profitable.
>
> Or quality... all quality is currently shit, but at least
> you stand a chance of seeing the flies on it if it's open.

The http://q3ube.be , https://puri.sm/ and http://efabless.com
are open for business.

If you happen to own a chain of gas stations you might decide an
open hardware and multi-signature payment system that lets the
customers authenticate the gas pump before payment might be a
good long-term investment if you want to keep your customers.
http://www.wthr.com/story/31039979/credit-card-skimmers-hit-again-in-central-indiana

Place your orders now, or learn how to eat the cost of systems
re-compromised with legislative trojans and court-order malware.

And if you want to make any money in this space, think like a
plumber and get used to dealing with everyone else's shit.

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  hozer at hozed.org
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash