participation in sensor networks

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sat Mar 5 12:41:04 PST 2016

On 03/05/2016 01:19 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:08:56 -0500 Steve Kinney
> <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:
>

>> I for one welcome universal surveillance,
>
> Crazy. Perhaps you didn't notice that what you welcome is even
> more absolute state power?

Crazy?  More like far out.

Universal surveillance enables abuses of State power only when
access to collected data is restricted to State sanctioned actors.
 When everything becomes searchable by anybody, the inability of
State sanctioned actors to conceal their activities or effectively
lie about their history and motives will inhibit their potential
for destructive action.  "Power over others" depends in large part
on secrecy, while "powers of self determination" depend largely on
free and open access to information.

In the long run, the secrecy problem will take care of itself,
because the abuses of power it enables have already killed the
State:  At least, in the sense that a trans-national State hard
wired for self destruction, defending that program by any means
necessary, is "already dead."

:o)