solutions for source code take downs due to DMCA?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Mar 19 06:04:55 PDT 2016

brief github session:
---
python-iview.gitm $ git fetch
Username for 'https://github.com': zenaan
Password for 'https://zenaan@github.com':
remote: Repository unavailable due to DMCA takedown.
remote: See the takedown notice for more details:
remote:   https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2015-10-27-Python-iview.md.
fatal: unable to access
'https://github.com/vadmium/python-iview.git/': The requested URL
returned error: 503
---

My last change is:
caf726732 2015-07-02 (HEAD, master) Humax retired; change to Panasonic feed

I had plans to use it, but never quite got a round tuit, but I did
grab a clone last year, to make sure I had a copy in case and or when
I wanted or needed it. A DMCA takedown has happened since then.

Finding alternative repos is not hard, but finding one which is
updated is not something I have achieved - it looks like the DMCA ogre
has wielded his club and squashed this probject, AFAICT.

That's not good. It's not healthy for our (global) community.

This feels like a problem we should be able to solve.

Further info on this DMCA takedown:
https://github.com/vadmium/python-iview
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2015-10-27-Python-iview.md
https://theconversation.com/python-iview-copyright-crusader-or-vigilante-operative-9763
http://www.mibus.org/2012/09/18/letter-to-the-abc-re-the-takedown-of-python-iview/
http://www.mibus.org/2012/09/23/doctor-who-sans-python-iview/

A foundational thought re freedom of information and freedom of
culture and freedom to share comes to mind - are there any papers
about any form of shock-test resistant hidden server design, e.g. with
some number of trusted entry points into the TOR network to hide
behind?

It seems "we" have yet to design a functional hidden service?

Zenaan