Remember, remember the Fukushima nuclear disaster on this day?

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Sun Mar 13 09:23:56 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:06 PM, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Steve Kinney wrote:
> > Aleutians and east to North America.  But the Pacific based
> > seafood industries can breathe easy:  USDA has increases allowable
> > levels of hot isotopes, and if you can't prove in Court that a
> > particular environmental source caused your cancer, nobody is
> > liable.

I can't find any evidence USDA did this, but I do recall reading that the
Japanese health authorities had. But the old levels, much like FCC RF
exposure limits, weren't based on any science showing harm, just on the
levels they'd typically see. That doesn't mean the new levels aren't
dangerous, but it also doesn't mean the old levels were safe. It's all
about cost of compliance. We just need more research to know what levels
are genuinely safe or dangerous. Though to some extent the Japanese are
providing this by acting as a living experiment. If there isn't an increase
of cancers from eating food at the higher levels, then hopefully the higher
levels are fine.