Bitcoin: A Miner Problem

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:30:24 PST 2016

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 14:45:27 -0500
grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/4/16, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
> >> http://qntra.net/2016/03/a-miner-problem/

> > Isn't this "cartel" the "free market" in juan's anarchist utopia?
>
> Yes. That's supposed to happen.

	No, this isn't the free market. For starters, it should be
	obvious that bitcoin doesn't operate in a free market. If we
	had a free market in money we wouldn't need bitcoin...

	Bitcoin is more like a black market. Similar to the black
	market for, say, some drugs the gov't doesn't like. And
	actually, bitcoin is more like a single a company, not a
	'market'. Finally, allegedly, some people are 'exploiting' a
	'known flaw' in the 'bitcoin protocol'. That's not 'a market'.

	'Utopian' anarchy assumes that most people behave
	honestly. And service providers do what they are supposed to
	do. In this case miners are supposed to 'secure' the network,
	not attack it. If they attack it then we are not dealing with
	any kind of 'utopian anarchy', but with ordinary fraud.