Once again: Tor timing attacks and a Tor confession

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Tue Mar 1 01:43:45 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 03:15:44AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> On 3/1/16, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
> > Is jitter/fill traffic full solution?
>
> Again, to what threat model?

The threat model is the entire world --
in real life do you care much what accident
will "own" your life?

If this is too broad for you, the threat
model are state sponsored actors including
NSA.

> You mean like rooting a bunch of Linux nodes, 6+:1 ratio ...

> Or compromising the repo or developers or 3rd party libraries...
>
> Or asking your friends AT&T et al to help...
>
> What's the threat?

Combination of many threats -- owning, timing, crypto, etc

> > This is consistent with the fate of Lulzsec.
> > According to the official story (which I don't believe),
> > the first of them got caught because "he forgot to use
> > tor when on irc..."
>
> Do they and their court docs officially say that?
> Or just some blogger reading 4chan?

Don't know about courts, here is a reference from thereg:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/07/lulzsec_takedown_analysis/