Publicly Usable Secure Rooms

Karl Semich gmkarl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 03:04:20 PDT 2016

On 06/23/2016 01:16 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:
> On 06/23/2016 06:14 AM, Karl Semich wrote:
> > I was wondering if anybody had any information on public secure
> > spaces such as shielded rooms.
>
> > I would like to index such places, and create motion towards such
> > security being accessible for all people.
>
> The word "honeypot" comes to mind at once.  If "you and yours" did not
> set up, maintain, and control access to such a space, "secure" does
> not belong in its name.
>
> The presence of the word "public" also raises an eyebrow, as "no
> security protocol has ever survived contact with end users."
>
> Maybe I exaggerate a little.  Maybe not.  These objections do not rule
> out the possibility of something useful being accomplished, only point
> out challenges that will need creative solutions and constant attention.

I think that even spaces compromised by only some parties would be
helpful to people who have less security otherwise.  Similarly, so many
people do actually use Tor and other products.

Would constant, public logging, during construction and use, be any
significant help with such concerns?  Sometimes I imagine a space with
both private and publicly logged areas, trade-offs for those with
different needs.

Perhaps an "open-source" approach could help, where any can contribute
concerns or improvements for the next go-around?