[tor-talk] Reminder to stay on-topic

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Jun 23 21:00:30 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:37:08PM -0400, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>   I've been fairly surprised that the response has been almost entirely
> positive.  The 45-post thread on cypherpunks where Zenaan Harkness called me
> a "fake man" (classy) notwithstanding.

Taking out of context an "expressed suspicion" as a fact of name calling,
won't do you any favours.

>   And is Zenaan banned?  No.  Is grarpamp or most of the other people who
> posted in support of Jacob Appelbaum banned?  No.  And is Jacob Appelbaum
> himself on the ban list?  No.  So please let us dispense with the idea that
> the handful of people banned from this list are being persecuted for their
> beliefs.
>
>   There are thousands of people on this mailing list who receive *every*
> message -- this is not a forum where off-topic posts can be deleted before
> being seen.  And quite frankly, three weeks of unbridled posting seems like
> plenty to me.

"We gave you enough rope to hang yourself, and those who went slightly
overboard by my personal definition (at least until next week or
whenever I change the rules again) are now banned, without even a single
individual warning/ request to keep on topic, being given to said
individuals.

Classy. List administration at its best there Boyce. Not.

"Arbitrary justice", which you might like to inform yourself regarding,
is where "the rules" are not known in advance, and no concession is made
to those who break the rules, WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW THOSE RULES.

Your choice to allow "three weeks of unbridled posting" created in many
of our minds, a rule which we all thought we were following - ja.talk
kept reposting media crap, we had a right to respond (or so we thought).

Your executive choice to ban certain individuals who "broke" your rule
(because they went three weeks and ONE EXTRA DAY (let's say)), when you
NEVER STATED to us your rule about "three weeks is OK, but three weeks
+ one day and THEN you will be banned with no right to recourse nor even
any right to request me personally to change my mind" is EXTREMELY
arbitrary.

You have told us by your actions as well as your words (besides a few
other things about yourself) that you WILL exercise arbitrary power
over real humans attempting to communicate their truth, their soul,
their pain, their attempts to find resultion on at least one of the
normally -most- challenging and difficult conversations we Westerners
have to confront, rape.

Aren't you a bloody hero now?!!

Three claps for Boyce, dispensing justice and facilitating community.

Clap, clap, clap.

>   Tor is a software project, not a telenovela.  Please keep posts
> on-topic in the future.

"And those who broke my rule in the past, are now kill filed by me, and
even if you genuinely want to join and participate and abide by my
rules, well who gives a flying f*** about you, this is MY list, and I AM
the administrator, and I SET THE RULES!"

Three cheers for Boyce, bringing real empathy and humanity to the Tor
project, making the world a better place, cleaning up unsavoury posters.

"Boyce, doing the Right Thing (cause he said so)."

> There are endless opportunities to express an opinion
> online, and everyone is free to seek them out.

Of course. As I too have said.

And we are now clear on your choice to exercise your predatorial right
to arbitrary exercise of power. Fascism in action.

How very American (hat tip to Juan)...

Zenaan