Filling out captchas helps google train AI models

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Fri Jun 17 16:40:54 PDT 2016

On June 17, 2016 3:37:42 PM Mr Nobody <mrnobody at mail-on.us> wrote:

> I just discovered that the reCaptchas that you usually bump into when
> using tor are not only a way to distinguish humans, but also they use
> your replies to train artificial intelligence modes

In case you or anyone else is interested in the evolution of recaptcha
after google acquired it in 2009 - beginning with using us as free labor to
digitize their books, to decoding street addresses for Google maps and on
to the Match Game crap we have today:

https://techcrunch.com/2012/03/29/google-now-using-recaptcha-to-decode-street-view-addresses/

http://www.blackhatworld.com/seo/something-interesting-ive-noticed-recently-with-recaptcha.423026/

Warning for sensitive individuals: this image contains a racial slur.  It
was what /b/ called the attempt to screw with recaptcha, just including it
for relevant reference (so don't send me hate mail):
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/1019304/Operation/

So, yeah.  We've known from the start that they were using recaptcha as
free labor.

-S