the challenge of becoming an anarchist - why nearly everyone's a statist

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jun 12 03:31:00 PDT 2016

> Lastly, one should realize that your first obligation is to yourself,
> then to your [chosen] family/friends, and finally none at all to
> "society", which is a construct of dubious utility, and which doesn't
> exist on its own.

society is a word which for the average person in conversation is used to
describe part of his reality in which he finds himself.

Taking one of the positions in the words above:
"your first obligation is ... finally none at all to 'society'..."

One way to tackle this position is to name it as the prisoner's dilemma:
do the prisoners each hold out for the others, and thereby maximise the
benefit to everyone, or jump at the first opportunity for individual
benefit, maximising the cost/pain to everyone.

I say this is a question of conscience. I encourage us all to live
according to one's own conscience, one's knowledge of good and evil, and
one's perception of right and wrong and how to improve things towards the
"good" end of the spectrum (again, according to your own personal
awareness of what is good).

We in the West are schooled, not so much educated, and our schooling is so
effective we do not see how brainwashed we are. "It's a dog eat dog world,
every man for himself, society/government are dubious constructs not much
related to reality and therefore to be ignored, focus on self and family
instead, be competitive, be number 1, win that human rat race and take the
podium and then you will have been successful in life."

I say this is competitive schooling^Wbrainwashing is driving us away from
our humanity, away from our conscience, and truly, away from those things
which actually bring happiness in life.

So many relatively wealthy or on the way to wealthy individuals here in
Australia spend their adult lives striving, so hard, for financial
success, to become that millionaire (and seriously, the papers, TV and
people talk about how really, even if you want to retire "comfortably",
you now need a MULTI million dollar retirement fund. That's right, just to
be comfortable AT RETIREMENT AND NOT BEFORE, you need to become a multi
millionaire.

I say this to people and they nod in agreement - the cost of living
comfortably is now so expensive. Seriously, it's now broadly accepted.

So, all these people, racing around for decades to becomes multis (multi
millionaires), a lifetime, only to discover at retirement that they need
to find some people to spend their "comfortable retirement" with.

Other folks, like some I know, take a different view, a different
approach, considering that it is most productive (from a sanity
perspective) to spend a good decade or two discovering people worthy of
spending time with, hanging out with, marching a cause with, and -then-
pursue a bit of "comfortability" in this world.

Then occasionally I find a real extremist who will put a righteous cause
and loyalty to friends who share the principles, even above family. Them's
worth hanging onto...

Please, choose words wisely.

As to action, if someone believe's their action is righteous and will
benefit others, and we believe such action will benefit at least some and
at least even in small ways, then let's support such action, even if we
encourage more effective action - with concrete suggestions of how to act
more effectively of course (don't need to belabour -that- point around
here now right?)...

Be a monk IN the world. A rebellious table turning, boat rocking, rock of
conscience type of monk, with care and graciousness to all, firm vehemence
and determination against bullies, love to family and friends and
consideration in our public voice. Who needs more depression? - let's
inspire instead!