The Internet As Govt Self Suicide Device

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 11:05:56 PDT 2016

      From: grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>
On 6/7/16, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  From: juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com>
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 18:23:17 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Apparently there are a number of easy-to-describe improvements which
>> >could be made to the TOR protocol

Perhaps. Though I think tor's basic design and inertia
may be unsuited to GPA resistant mods, such that new
project[s] would be better ground for trialing that. Doesn't
mean that current nets can't be drawn from.

>> >TOR is a net positive,

>For quite some use cases, just not all use cases.
Yes, that's why I said a "net positive".

> I've argued for years that the invention of the Internet will eventually be
> seen as a very slow-motion suicide by government.

>Gov's don't self suicide.
Usually, that's true.  The most obvious counter-examples today include Venezuela and Greece.  There is a difference, albeit small, between a government taking an action to deliberately kill itself, as opposed to a government taking an action will will eventually cause that government to be killed.  To a first approximation, both amount to "suicide".
> However they may piss other
>folks off, who then rise to kill them.
I include that kind of event as being "suicide".          Jim Bell