Wikileaks is the Endgame

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Wed Jun 29 23:01:28 PDT 2016

On 06/29/2016 10:34 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On 6/29/16, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

>> What do you see as promising?
>
> Hard to say as keeping track of all the papers
> and few actually coded implementations is hard.

Yes, far more papers than implementations. Once you have something that
works well enough, or that people are at least so convinced, new ideas
don't attract much interest. But maybe that's changing now.

> I2P is still interesting as a packet switched net.
> PS tech tends to have more modification flexibility
> to new pluggable ideas than circuit switching.

Why did Tor go with circuit switching? Was it mostly about efficiency?
We have a very different Internet now. Also, is it easier to bury packet
switching in chaff?

> All the other little more specific messaging / file
> systems have some good elements.

Which ones, in particular?

With global active adversaries, which can observe and modify packets on
every public network, it's hard to imagine how substantive [anonymity |
unlinkability | deniability | privacy] is possible. Sure, every node
might send traffic that's not provably nonrandom to every other node at
constant rate. But it's still obvious that you're up to something. And
once they tweak your traffic, they can look at what other nodes start
behaving differently. So I come back to the need for covert channels.

> More than asserting something promising from the mess, there
> might be value in the prior step of sorting out what may be promising.
> There are folks who would be good partners in that.

Maybe so. But many of them tend to keep to themselves ;)