Hi, Boyce! (was Fwd: tor-talk subscription update)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Thu Jun 23 07:55:32 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-06-24 at 00:08 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I don't know who you're referring to - I've seen no threats to rejoin,

Graham Boyce alluded to it in one of his messages.

> but I did see Cecilia respectful (if painfully submissive) request to
> be allowed to rejoin under her own provisio then she keep herself
> "on-topic". It seems evident she cannot even contact Boyce since he
> has kill filed her.

His inbox, his rules.

> Would you agree that users who are about to be banned, ought be given,
> say, AT LEAST ONE CHANCE to comply with a request to "stop posting off
> topic, if you continue we will ban you"?

Tor Project's mailing list, Tor Project's rules.

That said, I am inclined to be nice and warn first. However, I feel no
obligation to do so, particularly if a disruptive participant knows
he/she is being disruptive and/or posting off-topic on purpose.

> Wow. You're really hard core here. Intended or not by you, you are
> coming across to me as pretty hard core fascist. If not intended, I
> grant you may just be modern-classicly schooled.

The US, its states and cities, and for that matter most of the civilized
world, is run by laws. Yes, sometimes the people that make those laws
get it wrong, but I believe at least with the laws regarding harassment
and unauthorized computer system access, they got it right.

That said, one should not need to read a law book or a holy book to know
how to behave as a member of decent society. Threatening to rejoin a
mailing list one has just been booted from, is not how decent people
behave.