Hi, Boyce! (was Fwd: tor-talk subscription update)

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Jun 23 06:14:00 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 08:09:22AM -0300, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
> All Jake's friends and supporters are being brutally harassed in last
> weeks.
>
> It is absolutely lovely receiving messages talking about raping me when
> everybody says they are 'rape victims' and 'we need to avoid any kind of
> violence against women'.
>
> Uff, it seems a bad and sick contraditory joke, really hypocrite...  Why do
> the people forget that I am a woman when it is convenient?  And I was a
> _real_ victim, I didn't tell lies using an anonymous site and my
> networking...  :-/
>
> The worst part about everything is feeling really lucky, because Jake is
> receiving messages talking about killing him.  At least, I will be just
> raped and, of course, only for correct and fair persons.

Cecilia, it is amazing to watch the intensity of this campaign - all
ja.talk repostings to the tor-talk list were allowed, but your
as grounds to completely ban you from tor-talk.

Uncomfortable echoes of "I told you so, all of you" in the voice of
Juan, inexplicable bounce around my mind :)

So many examples we have (Debian, Tor, your electronics groups and
plenty more) where people join an online discussion group of some sort,
invest life energy, and for a while feel they are "part of a community",
only to have that feeling destroyed at some point when the moderator,
administrator or employees pull rank and expose themselves, and expose
the presumptions we made about them and -their- forums as matching what
we originally thought it was.

When there is public opposition to a particular exercise of dictatorial
authority, then that is a data point suggesting a new, similar group
(public or private club) could be created, with different or similar
rules etc.

When there is alignment between those who exercise authority over a
forum, perhaps on behalf of the majority of that forum or not, and the
expectations of the majority in that forum, then there will presumably
be relative harmony.

And those who experience being in the minority learn that they need to
look elsewhere for others who share their particular bent.

The journey can be painful, eye opening, liberating or all of these.