The cheap low risk node majority attack, pki, geoip, etc

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Jun 8 13:11:19 PDT 2016

On 06/07/2016 06:59 PM, juan wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 18:51:25 -0400 Steve Kinney
> <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> So in other words, I'm right, you're wrong, and you know it
>

>> What am I wrong about, exactly? You can re-read my previous
>> messages and notice all the stuff I said and you ignored.
>
>> Especially my first message explaining why tor is a scam.

The big error I see is your apparent belief that TOR should be able to
do impossible things, and interpreting its failure to do so as
evidence of malicious intent by its sponsors and developers.

Overly enthusiastic fans of tools like TOR promise "airtight
security," because they believe that airtight security is possible.
Overly enthusiastic critics of TOR and similar tools demand the same
impossible performance, and consider anything less to be a betrayal of
public trust.

One of the most effective ways to defeat a grass roots political
adversary is to build and unleash opposing camps of True Believers to
fight for and against a simplistic, misrepresented version of whatever
the "unwelcome" advocates are trying to accomplish.  What makes this
approach so effective is that people will do it ALL BY THEMSELVES in
many instances; guiding them to do it harder, faster and better is no
challenge at all if one has a budget for that.

I don't imagine that every outspoken critic of my little ideas is a
paid enemy agent; I prefer a more evidence based brand of paranoia.
To me, the tempest in TOR's teacup looks like a perfectly natural
phenomenon, driven by false hope vs. harsh reality problems.  Everyone
has a right to petition the Universe for redress of grievances against
the laws of physics; this can even be productive, as and when it leads
to an improved understanding of those laws.

:o)