[throwing] cryptographically-provable anonymity [under the bus]

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Tue Jun 7 19:47:43 PDT 2016

On 06/07/2016 11:46 AM, juan wrote:

> Slander by the tor project[1] you mean? [1]
> https://blog.torproject.org/blogs/ssteele By now you must have
> realized that the tor project threw appelbaum under the bus? You and
> the vast majority of people on this list and in the 'hacker'
> 'community' ignore the fact that the tor is a project of the US
> military and that it doesn't really work, except as a tool for the US
> military. Now, your beloved tor project is showing that it's not only
> controlled by right-wingers from the pentagon. There's also a faction
> of lefty fascists and champions of 'social justice'. ` Failing to see
> his stuff or not giving a shit about it looks like a big 'mistake' to me.

A> One person's 'under the bus' is another person's 'distancing'.
Steele's post was an industry standard employer liability distancing.
The slander originated at a twitter account, and github. How Steele
learned of the allegations was most likely direct complaints. The fact
the the authorities weren't brought in by torproject pre-emptively
(which IS what a company will do if there are criminal allegations) most
likely indicates they believed the charges were baseless, but distancing
is what you do anyway.

B> I know it's a military project and always has been. NOT relevant to
the issue of what security you can expect from it. Just because people
assume it has some supersecret power doesn't make it fact and I don't
believe the tor project claims it's intended to be the only security you
need.

But honestly. If you use tails with tor on a public library computer
miles from where you live to deliver documentation there's no physical
trace on any computer anywhere and even IF the exit entrance and ALL THE
TOR NODES were pwned by the FBI's DITU crew they STILL wouldn't know who
you are or be able to geolocate you accurately.

How secure do you need to be Juan?

Rr.