the nature of the internet

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:31:11 PDT 2016

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:05:48 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  From: juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com>
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 18:23:17 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >Apparently there are a number of easy-to-describe improvements
> > >which could be made to the TOR protocol, such as increasing the
> > >number of hops, generating fake extra traffic, etc, which would
> > >improve it greatly.  TOR is a net positive,
>

> >    Yes, a net positive. Don't you love the US military Jim? They
> >    created the infrastructure for cypherpunks to overthrow the US
> >    government (and military) by means of a prediction market.

> I've argued for years that the invention of the Internet will
> eventually be seen as a very slow-motion suicide by government.

	Not sure if you mean that government embarked in slow motion
	suicide?

	Or by suicide-by-government you mean the government will kill
	us all? (such an outcome is rather likely I believe)

	If you think that the (government created) internet is
	going to destroy government, I would like to see both the
	theory and evidence for the claim.

	Because what we are seeing right now is the exact opposite.

	There are tons of evidence showing that the internet is
	amplifying the power of government in...exactly the way good
	old Orwell predicted.

	You are of course free to be as 'optimistic' as you want but I
	feel curious about the rational grounds for your optimism.

> It
> wasn't a one-step process, however:  Requring the invention of
> higher-speed modems to assist traffic, the World Wide Web, fiber
> optics, good encryption, etc.  TOR was/is yet another piece of the
> puzzle that will have to be assembled.My attention is on Ethereum and
> Augur, which will make the prediction market open.

> Nobody will much
> care if I donate 0.001 BTC to see the end of [fill in the blank with
> the name of your un-favorite politician or government employee.]

	Why not? Government will know you donated xxx to yyy and hunt
	you down. That is their job description and business model.