cryptographically-provable anonymity

J.M. Porup jm at porup.com
Tue Jun 7 06:55:16 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:25:49PM -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:
> Since nobody asked, here's a description of why neither TOR nor any
> other existing or presently planned anonymizing protocol I know of can
> be relied on to conceal a user's identity from the Five Eyes or any of
> several other hostile actors.

I wrote about the Dissent Project last year:

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/dissent-a-new-type-of-security-tool-could-markedly-improve-online-anonymity

project home page:

http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/dissent/

Serious project, led by Bryan Ford at EPFL. Roger Dingledine said nice
things about it.

Project seems to lack momentum, but could offer cryptographically-
provable anonymity guarantees, as long as real-time comms is not the
use case.

jmp