[private] Re: [tor-talk] http://jacobappelbaum.net/

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:21:48 PDT 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 13:00:06 -0400
Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> To the people who "know" that TOR is a complete sham designed to
> compromise unwary users, Appelbaum ranks with Hitler,

	1) tor was created and is still funded by the US military.

	2) the US military created tor to allow them to hide part of
	their 'intelligence gathering' activities, spying and the like.

	3) if only people from the US government connected to tor then
	the network would be useless. It would be obvious for any
	observer that activity from the tor network came from the US
	government. That is the exact reason why tor needs a large and
	diverse user base.

	So, what the people responsible for tor (syverson, dingledine,
	appelbaum...etc) did is setting up a system that allows
	the US government/military to be anonymous **using ordinary
	people like you and me as cover**.

	4) last but not least, the anonimity that tor provides for
	ordinary people is limited. The US government can 'deanonymize'
	tor users (and especially 'hidden' services) because they can
	monitor a large part of the internet. In a sense tor is
	completely 'backdoored', by design.

	So Steve tell me that tor isn't a complete sham. Well you could
	or course argue that being only a 97% sham proves your point...