[OT] Fwd: [ PFIR ] Cryptography pioneer Marty Hellman calls for compassion in personal, cyber, and international threats

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka@gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:13:47 PDT 2016

For your information, with warm hugs from Brazil!  :*

Cecilia

PS:  -  Juan, maybe you and some people don't like him and his posts, but
Lauren is a kind soul.  I really like him a lot.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "PFIR (People For Internet Responsibility) Announcement List" <
pfir@pfir.org>
Date: Jun 27, 2016 9:08 PM
Subject: [ PFIR ] Cryptography pioneer Marty Hellman calls for compassion
in personal, cyber, and international threats
To: <pfir-list@pfir.org>

Cryptography pioneer Marty Hellman calls for compassion in personal, cyber,
and international threats

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/27/cryptography-pioneer-marty-hellman-on-using-compassion-in-personal-cyber-and-international-threats/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

        Hellman no longer does crypto research, though he retains a
        position at Stanford; instead, he has been advocating for
        changes in policy that acknowledge the new, more
        interconnected global community.  "I see cyberweapons as very
        similar to nuclear weapons," he said. "Early on we had a
        monopoly on nuclear weapons so we thought they were the
        greatest thing going. But unlike a nuclear weapon, a
        cyberweapon doesn't destroy itself, so like with Stuxnet, our
        adversaries were able to take it apart and figure out how it
        works. We need to start thinking this through more carefully."

 - - -

--Lauren--
Founder:
Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility:
http://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com
I have consulted to Google, but I am not currently
doing so -- my opinions expressed here are mine alone.